Authorizing a Representative

As a property owner, your information is confidential. However, you have the option of designating someone to represent you when working with us.

Who can represent you

Your authorized representative must be:

  • A licensed lawyer or paralegal.
  • A family member, friend or neighbour.
  • Someone representing a non-profit organization—a signing authority for the organization can authorize a representative to act on the organization's behalf.
  • Someone who is an employee of an organization—a signing authority for the organization can authorize a representative to act on the organization's behalf.
  • A constituency assistant—someone who works for an elected representative such as a Member of the Provincial Parliament can be authorized by a signing authority of the organization to act on behalf of the constituency office.
  • A member of the Human Resources Professional Association of Ontario (HRPAO), provided that they send us their membership number or other information that proves they are a member.

Information required for authorization

If you would like someone to represent you and they are not a licensed lawyer or paralegal, you (or the property owner) will need to complete and send MPAC a Representative Authorization Form. It gives permission for that person to act as your representative with MPAC on property assessment matters and for MPAC to provide your property information to that person.

If the property is registered under a business name, then the person with signing authority who is making the request to assign a representative must include their affiliation—director, owner, CEO, etc.

Lawyers/paralegals vs. non-lawyers/non-paralegals

If your representative is a licensed lawyer or paralegal, they do not need to complete this form. However, they must send MPAC the following information:

  • the name of their client – your or the company (if applicable)
  • whether their client is an owner or tenant of the property
  • their Law Society of Ontario licence number

Authorizing for more than one property

If you are authorizing your representative to act on your behalf for more than one property, you will need to complete an additional Schedule of Additional Properties, which is attached to the Representative Authorization form.

For 50 or more properties, you must include a list of them with your completed Representative Authorization Form. The list must be in an electronic file (email attachment or flash drive) that has information on the properties that you own, lease or manage.

Please make sure that your electronic file includes all the information described under the "Information required for authorization" section.

MPAC may contact you to confirm that the information in this form is complete and accurate. MPAC may also ask to see the signed original form.

Where to send your Representative Authorization form or Letter of Authorization

This information should be sent to us by mail at the address below, or by email.

1340 Pickering Parkway, Suite 101

Pickering ON L1V 0C4

Contact us

If you have any questions about how we collect and use the information you provide, please contact us at 1 866 296-6722 or TTY 1 877 889-6722. You can also reach us by email.

Related Links

For more information, please visit the Law Society of Ontario at