Changing Your School Support

By default, your property taxes support your municipality's English public school board. However, you may be able to change the school board that your taxes support.

You'll find information about which school board your property taxes support on your Property Assessment Notice.

Purpose of changing your school support

As a property owner in Ontario, you are required to support a school system, even if you do not have children. If you wish to re-direct your school support from the default English-Public to a different board, your choices for boards include:

  • English public
  • French public
  • English separate (Catholic)
  • French separate (Catholic)
  • Protestant separate (Penetanguishene only)

Who this information is for

This information is for property owners and tenants in Ontario who would like to change which school board they support through a portion of their property taxes.


In order to change your school board support, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must own or lease a property.
  • You may direct school support to only one of the boards operating in your municipality. Note that not all school boards are available in all municipalities.
  • If you own or lease more than one property in a school board jurisdiction, all properties must support the same school board.
  • To direct your taxes to a Catholic school board, you must be Roman Catholic or your joint owner/tenant (such as your Roman Catholic spouse) may designate the property's support for a Catholic school board.
  • To direct your taxes to a French-language school board, you or your joint owner/tenant must be a Canadian citizen and meet one of the following criteria:
    • French is their first language learned and is still understood.
    • You received elementary school instruction in a French-language education institution* in Canada.
    • Your child(ren) received or receives their education at the elementary or secondary level in a French-language education institution* in Canada.
  • To direct your taxes to a French Separate school board, you must meet the criteria for both the Separate (Catholic) and French Language school boards.

* This does not include French immersion or French as a second language.

Benefits of changing your school support

In addition to supporting the board that best reflects your educational preferences, you will be able to vote in the next municipal election for trustees for the school board that you support.

The process to change your school board support

To change the school board designation that we have on file for you, please follow these steps:

  1. You must complete and attach an Application for Direction of School Support form, which you can obtain from your school board's office.
  2. If you are Roman Catholic but your joint owner or leaseholder is not, and you want to change your designation to a Catholic board, you must complete and submit a Separate School Lease Agreement. You can get the Separate School Lease Agreement from your separate school board.
  3. Using mail or email, please send us your:
    • Application for Direction of School Support
    • Separate School Lease Agreement (if applicable)
  4. We will process the change to your school support designation upon receipt.